Being Age 55 or Older is Good for The Environment! The Agricultural Conservation Experienced Services (ACES) Program offers unique opportunities in Scientific, Technical, and Agricultural support for individuals age 55 and over to support the Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) through a grant administered program awarded to National Experienced Workforce Solutions (NEW Solutions). This is a unique program where your talents, expertise and experience will truly be valued. The ACES program provides an opportunity to work side-by-side with NRCS staff that are doing important work every day.
Benefits: Paid Health Insurance Premium for positions budgeted at 60+ hours per pay period, Accrued Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Federal Holidays, and optional Vision and Dental Insurance available for positions budgeted at 35+ hours per pay period.
NOTE: Positions listed here do not guarantee employment for any definite period. Enrollment in the Experienced Worker Programs administered by NEW Solutions is temporary. The enrollment relationship between NEW Solutions and the Enrollee is an "at-will" relationship. This means that an Enrollee is free to terminate enrollment at any time during the enrollment period, and NEW Solutions and the Agency have the right to terminate the relationship with the Enrollee.
NOTE: An “ACES Enrollee” is not a federal employee, nor an employee of NEW Solutions. An “ACES Enrollee” is a participant in a grant program, which is established through a Cooperative Agreement funded by the USDA-NRCS and administered by NEW Solutions.
Assist the state watershed programs staff with program management and project implementation including planning and design. Provide project engineering and task management support; provide technical expertise, manage complex technical project planning, coordination, and training.
- Conduct analyses of issues associated with ecological and watershed policies, synthesizes data and information, and provides advice and recommendations on critical resource problems to management and conservation districts, including; providing guidance on Watershed Programs NEPA, Plans, reviews, and assessments; aid conservationist in planning a variety of practices; planning Policy Interpretation; assist in developing Statements of Work
- Provide a review of engineering design and technical services provided by NRCS staff and contractors. 30%
- Provide analytical support for regulatory and policy actions, changes in programs, and specific conservation projects, including contributing work on impact assessments. 20%
- Provide support to NRCS staff in managing construction projects. Coordinate with local project sponsors to aid in managing construction project schedules. 18%
- Other tasks as assigned related to Branch programs implementation. 2%
Minimum of 20 year(s) of experience in Project Engineering, Agriculture Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Design Engineering, or related field of study OR BA/BS Degree in Agriculture, Natural Resources, Agronomy, or related field of study.
- Experience with NRCS Watershed Programs. Expert in producing NEPA documents
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Experience required with Windows, Copying Machine, MS Word, MS Excel
- ACCESS/HANA, IAS, Protracts, PowerPoint, NRCS specific and/or certified.
- Annual information system security, anti-harassment, and civil rights training.
- Travel Requirements: For activities that require inspections or obtaining materials/visualizations of the physical areas or meeting sites or to obtain documents.
- Overnight travel: Travel requirements will vary, but on average 2 weeks per year.
- Air travel anticipated: Travel requirements will vary, but on average 2 weeks per year.
- Rental cars: Travel requirements will vary, but on average 2 weeks per year.
- Health and Safety Considerations: PPE equipment will be required in any case whether the candidate is expected to meet with or exposed to others.
- Required Safety Gear: PPE equipment will be required in any case whether the candidate is expected to meet with or exposed to others.
- Safety Gear Use: PPE equipment will be required in any case whether the candidate is expected to meet with or exposed to others.
- Physical requirements: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position
- Remote work arrangements are available for this position.